I did it, I called and scheduled a follow up with Mary for a refresher in charting and I scheduled an appointment with Di.ane Dunn.iway because Dr. S was out on maternity leave. My appointment was yesterday and I was nervous about seeing anyone other than Dr. S but I must say that I really liked Diane. She was very easy to talk to.
I initially scheduled the appointment for a Friday since I don't work on Fridays however my hubby does so I made the decision just to take the drive by myself, but as the date drew closer I kept thinking that I didn't want to make that 3+ hour drive by myself so I half seriously said to my best friend, Jessica, that she should take the ride with me. She happily agreed! :) And I am VERY happy she did.
We arrived for my appointments at noon, I had an ultrasound first and then my appointment with Diane. The ultrasound came back normal!! No cysts and my ovaries were a normal size due to the wedge resection I had done in July. I had Jessica come in the room during the consult with Diane. I always welcome an extra set of ears. It's hard to keep everything straight at medical appointments.
Diane came in and asked me about my symptoms and explained that it could take up to 1 1/2 years after a wedge resection for my ovaries to respond properly. I didn't know that! Looking back on my consult with Dr. S, I never asked how long it could take, I only asked what the soonest I would possibly see the positive effects from the surgery. Diane came up with a treatment plan that I am comfortable with. Since my last period was in October she wanted to start me on progesterone shots to get a withdrawal bleed then continue with the shots on days 18, 21, and 24 until I start to see peak type mucus then I will switch to progesterone shots on Peak 4, 7, and 10. And at some point we will introduce fem.ara into the protocol. This is all new to me and I did get a little confused but I know what I am suppose to do now and I will call Kim and Mary with any questions as they come up.
I had my first injection yesterday during the appointment. This was interesting. Diane said she would really like to start me on shots but that someone would have to learn how to give me the injections from home as well. Of course the assumption is that my hubby would do it, but Diane said we could teach Jessica if we were both okay with it. Oh my, I was cool with it if she was and of course she was. She's down to do whatever it would take to help me have a baby! SO, Jessica and I have known each other since 1989 (7th grade) and I can honestly say neither one of us ever thought she would be seeing my booty in all its glory!! lol She did an amazing job for never handling a needle and syringe in her life. I didn't even feel the needle go in. I of course felt the progesterone going into the muscle, but that's not her fault! It is hard for me to be the patient because I am the medical assistant on most days that is giving injections. While the medical assistant was instructing Jessica I couldn't help myself, I had to step in and give my tips as well! After all it was being injected into my body.
It worked out in more than one way that Jess was with me! Firstly, my hubby, bless his heart, can NOT handle needles. If he was with me it would not have been pretty, I know he would have tried but he probably would have passed out! lol Secondly, if I had gone alone then I would have had to postpone something that I was so ready to do. Thirdly, I just happen to live on the same street as Jessica, so it couldn't get anymore convenient than that for shot days. I believe the Lord works in mysterious ways and he was the reason I half seriously mentioned her coming with me.
Last night I was filling my hubby in on everything that happened and when I got to the part about Jessica giving me the shot and I told him she could teach him how to do it, he immediately let me know that he was perfectly fine with Jessica continuing the duties of "injector" lol!!
I'm happy that I decided not to be a chicken and go talk to Diane to at least see what my options were and that she had more information for me that I didn't know about. I had been on metfor.min for the PCOS and she asked if I was still taking it. I let her know that it was very harsh on my stomach so I discontinued taking it. She came up with an alternative, NAC (n-acetyl-l-cysteine) for me that one of her other patients learned about on a PCOS board. She looked into and liked what she saw so that patient went on it and now I am going to start taking it. It has far less side effects with similar results for insulin resistance.
Good for you with going to that appt. I had no idea that Dr.S was pg when she did my surgery. I guess there was no reason for her to tell us that. Ha! I am skeptical with taking new meds too...for they usually upset my stomach. Walking around with an upset stomach is not fun with the job I'm doing now.
ReplyDeleteMy dh couldn't do the prog shots for me either. Luckily my mom is a retired nurse and she lives about 4 blocks from us, so she was able to do them and she even taught me how to give myself the HCG injections. Now I do them myself and I rarely bleed or hurt myself! You are lucky you have you have a dear friend nearby to help you.
Good luck with all of your treatments. I was told recently that with NAPRO...it can take a year and a half to get pg. That was hard for my dh and I to swallow.
Pam - what hopeful and happy news! Dan gave me shots when I was pregnant with Sophia due to low progesterone and the chance of miscarriage. He surprised me! Praying for you guys. Love, Karrie
ReplyDelete