Thursday, May 31, 2012

Timeline

I was diagnosed with pcos 12 years ago. I believe it was August of 2000. I was offered birth control pills, which I have never been a fan of for several reasons. One of which is the link to breast cancer. My aunt passed away when I was young from breast cancer. Therefore I declined that option and the other option I was given was to take provera every 6-8 weeks just to get a period. Not exactly the most fun but I realize it is necessary. That is the route of care I chose. Fast forward to 2007. John and I decide we want to enlist the help of a dr since it is not happening on our own. I go to a new ob/gyn because my original one retired. This dr sent me straight to the fertility specialist. John and I go for a consult. We didn't care for this dr at all. He wanted some diagnostic tests done and told me to go back to my regular dr for these tests. So I do. She did an ultrasound which showed pcos. The other test is called a hysterosalpingogram. That test showed a blocked tube (left side). We go back to fertility specialist and his recommendation was IUI. IUI scared me for some reason. I think the risk of a tear in the uterus is what got me. At that time in my life I would pass out at the sight of a needle or any medical equipment. Lol. I'm over all that now!! Back to the timeline. So we took a break from drs. I went back to my dr a year later for my annual exam which she literally did not do. She sent me home with prenatal vitamins and told me to go back to the fertility specialist. Are you kidding me? I shaved my legs for this?!? Ha! Needless to say I found a new gyne that actually wanted to do my annual exam for me. We are now in 2008, a friend recommend NaPro Technology. I look it up. Do a few hours of reading on it and researching it but there is not a dr near me that practices it. We continue on our path and we are just thinking if it's meant to be it will be. 2012 hits and I decide it's time to try again with drs help. John's all for it. The dr prescribes clomid for 2 cycles. It doesn't work. Then dr wants to send me back to fertility specialist. My insurance doesn't cover it. Karrie brings up NaPro again and gives me more info on it. I realize it's worth driving 3 hours to see a dr. This dr believes in treating me for pcos. After all infertility is a symptom/side effect of pcos. If nothing else, I can be hopeful that I will feel better as a whole. For the first time in my life I'm going to a dr that actually wants to help, not just slap a band aid on the problem. Of course the ultimate goal here is a baby and research shows great results using the NaPro Technology method.

No comments:

Post a Comment