Wow! I have never experienced pain like that in my life before. My surgery was last Monday the 23rd and today the 31st I am really noticing a difference for the better pain wise. I got home on Wednesday and quickly realized I was not going to be able to handle being home alone so I did the only thing I could, I called my Mom and she came Thursday since John was returning to work on Friday morning. She is an angel from above. 70 years old and still "Mothering" her baby. I feel horrible that I had to rely on her but I honestly had no choice and according to her, she wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Some people might call me crazy because I also had house guests come to stay with me on Sunday. My brother and his 3 daughters came from Ohio. My Mom needed some repairs done at her house and it was good timing for him to come take care of them for her. I told him they could stay with me. Just as long as he understood I was completely out of commission. John truly thought I was crazy, but it didn't seem like a problem to me. And, let me tell you, I was right. No problem! When they arrived Sunday we decided to throw a little birthday party for my niece. It was her 8th birthday. This resulted in a house full of my siblings and nieces and nephews. What I can say was it was the first day since surgery that I was in a good mood. My brothers crack me up, and they didn't fail in that department. I had to remind them that it was actually painful to laugh, but somehow that really didn't matter. Each day since has been an improvement and having my nieces and my Mom here has helped the days pass by a little faster and a little better. I'll probably be sad on Thursday when David and the girls head back to Ohio. My Mom is going home that day as well. :(
I have my follow up scheduled for Tuesday, August 7. I am eager to talk with Dr. Stalling with a clear mind and see what the next steps will be. I'm a little bummed that John may not be able to make it to the appointment due to work but it'll be ok.
I've enclosed a picture of pretty flowers from my Aunt Sue. The were so vibrant but when I took the picture with my phone it wasn't showing it so I used instagram to touch up the picture and make it look like what I get to look at all day long. :)
Oh and one note about the first time I had to get out of bed after my surgery. The nurse was trying to prepare me for what I had to do and says to me "just imagine what it would be like if you had a baby to take care of while being in all this pain". If these were words of encouragement, it didn't help. I thought to myself "I'd give anything to have a baby to take care of while in this pain. At least I'd have the "reason" for all that pain to hold in my arms". Other than that, I did not encounter too much heartache from being in the maternity ward. It's bittersweet to see all the photographs of babies on the walls while I took my "walks". They are so cute but if course I wish I had my own cutie!

That is good that you are finally feeling better. That is good that you can take the time to relax. I'm a teacher and going back to work soon...so time won't be on my side. sigh.
ReplyDeleteYou have been on my mind a lot! I pray you have a quick recovery once you have your surgery. I know it's got to be hard to know school is starting soon. Good luck at your appointment this week. I'll be waiting for your update.
ReplyDeleteI found it difficult to be on the maternity ward, especially when a nursing student asked me, "So how's baby doing?" Glad you are feeling better. That is great that you have such a wonderful family to take such good care of you.
ReplyDeleteI want to let you know that your blog was one of the first few I found and I read all your posts one sleepless night and learned a lot. One of the things that stuck with me was your surgery and the infection afterward. The maternity floor also stuck with me. I honestly would have been surprised by it if not for your blog. In fact my husband came in the room the following morning and said shockingly "youre on the maternity floor". I said I knew that was a possibility because of Hebrews. He probably thought I was talking crazy because of the drugs. Ha! And if I had to guess, those nurses couldn't stand me because I kept talking about infection control and hand washing. I did not want any complications!! I saw first hand what a septic infection can do to a person while trying to recover from a surgery and I read your posts.
DeleteI'm just having a lap surg done which is outpatient. I'll doubt I'll end up on the materinity ward...Gosh..that would be hard for me. As I was waiting for my appt with dr. s....I noticed the new born baby and pg women. Of course, what did I expect at an OB office? LOL!
ReplyDeleteThat is interesting about handwashing and infection control. It is something one has to be vigilant about.